half training week two: shake it out, wring it out, roll it out


Week two complete!

Monday - 4.6k, 27 min
I was too impatient to wait for the sun to set before heading out, so it was 29C when I ran. Luckily there was a slight breeze. Nothing too eventful, though I tried to incorporate some fartlek into this run - one minute spurts at a quicker pace, then slowing it down to a jog. I got tired so quickly of this and the latter half of my run was mostly a jog pace.

Tuesday - rest

Wednesday - cross, 7 minute workout x 2
I got home from work at 9pm...it was either run and eat dinner at 9:30pm or do a quick two circuits of the 7 minute workout. I decide to do the latter, which is unfortunate because I really do need to start my speed training. Next week. It'll happen. Is it bad to eat a Cliff bar for dinner while driving home so that I can run right when I get back? Hoping my hours aren't as crazy next week...

Thursday - 5k, 32 min
It was 19C and excellent running weather but alas I got cramps and they slowed me down. I started to run with a spandex fanny pack so I can carry my phone and run Strava on it so I'm able to track my pace throughout the course of my run, and not just my average pace with my watch. It was fine but still a little annoying to have some extra weight on me. In addition, I can't exactly swiftly unzip and extract my phone out of the belt while running to check my pace...is it even worth carrying when I can just do splits on my watch? The great thing about this app is that it also uses GPS to track where exactly you run. I usually use Map my Run to log my routes, but this one doesn't require any mapping after the fact since it tracks while you run. I bought this belt off Amazon a few years ago to carry my phone during races, and it was a pretty good deal - $5! Can't say I use it regularly since I don't make a habit out of running with my phone, but it has served me quite well for the price.
this is my fanny pack

Friday
- rest

Saturday - cross, bouldering
My schedule called for 30 minutes of cross training but I ended up bouldering for four hours. Intermittently, of course - many breaks were taken. What I like most about bouldering is that it's a social activity (climbers are so friendly and helpful), you're solving problems so it keeps your mind busy, and you're working out (but it doesn't feel that way because it's so fun!!) Despite my best stretching efforts, I was still sore the next day. Mostly in the back and arms, so shouldn't affect my long run on Sunday too much. I need to figure out a better post-climb stretching routine. I'll write about it once I get one figured out.

Sunday - 6.6k, 41 min
I did my long run in the morning, around 7:45am. Prior to my run, I ate a bit of a banana and drank a glass of water. It was nice outside (albeit on the warm side, 24C)...until it wasn't. And when I mean it wasn't, I'm not exaggerating. A torrential downpour came upon me midway through my run and everything got soaked very quickly. My socks were wet. I had to keep on wringing my shirt out because it was starting to weigh me down. On the bright side, I got a shower from nature and I wasn't super sweaty after my run! It was actually pretty nice...the rain was cooling me down. Though I must say, the squishing sound that my shoes were making while I was running was not pleasant. I would choose this over running in 30C, humid conditions, hands down. Cold showered and had a really quick stretch session before heading out to meet some friends. The takeaway here is that I really need to allocate time for post-run stretching when I'm scheduling my runs around other plans, because the cool down is a major key to avoiding soreness.

Sunday evening consisted of stretches and lots of much needed foam rolling.

Final Thoughts
I'm quickly realizing that time management is so imperative to keeping with my training plan and I am not even into the longer distances yet. Taking this training seriously will be great for not only enabling me to run a decent half, but also to learn and practice how to better manage my time. It's so easy to waste time, or simply let the hours get away from you when you're not paying attention. Even though I'm only scheduling around half an hour every other day (thus far), I'm becoming so much more cognizant of whether I am being efficient or squandering my time. Frequently I'd ask myself "where does the time go?" When you pay attention, you will recognize where it goes. We'll see how my time management progresses as I get further into my training and dedicate more time to running.

Comments