half training week six: overnight oats changed my life

I failed to mention that prior to beginning my training, my breakfast would normally consist of some bread and peanut butter, black coffee and sometimes a hard boiled egg. Apparently it's not nourishing so I started to make overnight oats once a week and eat for breakfast throughout the week - I make sure to include all the food groups so I'd be nourished. Breakfast is indeed a very important meal. My oats tend to look disgusting so here's a link to a nice blog that has some aesthetically pleasing photos and recipes. I'll include a photo of how REAL OATS look below.

The basic overnight oats recipe:
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/3 cup greek yogurt or skyr (plain)
2/3 cup unsweetened, non-dairy milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
pinch salt
1 tbsp chia seeds
1 tbsp ground flax seeds

I've typically added various things, such as cocoa powder, peanut butter; blueberries and maple syrup; sweet potato puree, cinnamon & nutmeg...
It's good until it's not good anymore. I did try the carrot cake one (pictured right) that the aforementioned link listed but it wasn't that good in my opinion. It would be a lie to say that I've noticed any large change in my level of energy or health since starting to eat these magic oats but I can say that I am more full for longer after eating oats compared to the crust of bread and sip of coffee of my previous breakfast self.

This week was comprised of a lot more "rest" but alas I'm getting restless. I miss running similar to how one would miss a loved one when they're gone for a short period of time and have no access to any form of communication. I've been feeling really out of sorts, I guess it's a combination of not running, dealing with insurance, doctors and physio, on top of last minute trip planning. It's just been a lot of stuff, mostly unforeseen, that I've had to deal with. But mostly, I miss running. Running has become a consistent, reliable source of contentment that doesn't require anything, really - just one foot ahead of the other.

Today is Monday and I was really, really glad to hit the ground running, at long last. Took it easy because I'm still kind of in pain, ran 3k and it was just so great to feel the wind in my hair and bugs flying into my face. Good times.

Blog hiatus for the upcoming two weeks - I'm going to Peru! Initially I was thinking about bringing my running shoes and continuing training but I'm not sure how the altitude will affect me and we will be hiking for a week, along with recovering from whiplash, I guess it's best to leave the running shoes at home and just take it as easy as I am able to.