friday five - vol 2

I've made some great musical discoveries this week. I've also been in some type of haze, like I'm on the cusp of the flu, or just not getting enough sleep. Either way, it's not been great and I haven't been running. But that doesn't mean I haven't been jamming out in my whip. Without further ado, here's the Friday Five, week of October 27. A lot of exciting new releases!!!

1. Made in China - Higher Brothers (ft. Famous Dex)
This is not a new release but it is a new discovery for me. Higher Brothers are like the Chinese Migos. Okay, I can't get over how lit this is??? Listen for the guy who goes super hard. You'll know who I'm talking about. He's everyone's favourite. I didn't think I'd live to see the day that Chinese trap music takes off, but alas here we are, and I'm not in the least bit upset about it. This is the first song I heard by them, but from here I branched off into the rest of their repertoire which is just as, if not more, lit. Most of their songs are in Mandarin which sprinkles of English, but a lot of their YouTube videos have English subtitles. Their lyrics are also quite poetic for trap music...they're keeping it real.

2. Body Talk - Majid Jordan
I love Majid Jordan. This track is the definition of slow banger. Please turn it up in your vehicle and proceed to flail your arms around at red lights (me every day this week). I don't think there's anything more that's needed to be said about this track - it's super fun.

3. Belong To You - Sabrina Claudio (ft. 6LACK) [Remix]
Another slow banger that needs to be listened to in the whip with the bass turned all the way up. Sabrina Claudio's new album About Time came out earlier this month and this is definitely a welcome bonus track. The original track is great but 6LACK's feature adds another dimension to the song, making it more fulfilled, if that makes sense? Like she's singing "I belong to you" and 6lack is acknowledging it and reciprocating in his verse, "Need you in my reach/You know I fall really, really deep," I've been very into this collaboration.

4. Alone - Jessie Ware
Going on with the theme of soulful lady vocalists, Jessie Ware's new album, Glasshouse, has a lot of tracks, but it's worth the listen, from start to finish. It's really a beautiful album - her voice and the instrumentation really come together and take you on a little vacation. Alone is a song that I can't help but belt in the car while driving in the dark. It's powerful, undeniably happy and makes me feel like Jessie is confiding a blossoming love to me.

5. I Get Overwhelmed - Dark Rooms
This is the song that is the basis for the soundtrack of A Ghost Story, a movie that I have not yet seen but seems like it's great from the trailer. Daniel Hart/Dark Rooms wrote this song and then the rest of the soundtrack came from it. This track is atmospheric and introspective, and makes me feel heavy, but in a good way. The way the song peaks is beautiful and the instrumentation throughout is just so on point - it would be the perfect soundtrack to walking through some fog on a grey day, or sitting inside when it's pouring out.

Comments